Sunday 14 February 2016

As I’m shaving, I think of something we said and I smile in unintentional imitation of the grin I had then. In doing so, the razor cuts across my lip.

Because this actually in-the-flesh happened I can’t call it a metaphor, but I know how easily it could be. Perhaps in earlier times they named such things omens, though not prophecies but auguries of the past.

The shower is broken again; it will only go to freezing cold or burning hot. This, I realise from experience, is a feature of many showers, but considering how in the past I found a temperature in between, I can safely call the thing defective.

I choose cold. It is bearable; unlike the daggers of the other extreme, in the cold I suffer pain but do not hurt. Or I hurt but am not in pain. It is hard to call things what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment