Tuesday 19 May 2015

Another day, another scheduled post. At least I didn't throw in any Greek.

So, I recognised this - another passage from http://forums.markzdanielewski.com/core/images/smilies/specialtext/house.png of leaves, although it's actually quoting Robert Jean Campbell, M.D., Campbell's Psychiatric Dictionary, 9th edn. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2009) p. 951. That's not the citation given in the text, but I went off and actually found a copy that didn't have brackets slicing through it. They're meant to represent ash littering (marring) the pages. Notice how "patient" is severed into "pati", reminding us of the word's root to the Latin. As Danielewski later writes in the book:

“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.” 

I'll drink to that. Or not, seeing as I don't drink any more. Not a good idea with the new combination of meds. Probably just not a good idea for me in general.

Guess it sure seemed like it at the time.

Hm.

“The knight was wrath to see his stroke beguyld,
  And smote againe with more outrageous might;
  But backe againe the sparckling steele recoyld,
  And left not any marke, where it did light;
  As if in Adamant rocke it had bene pight.
  The beast impatient of his smarting wound,
  And of so fierce and forcible despight,
  Thought with his wings to stye aboue the ground;
But his late wounded wing vnseruiceable found.

That's from Spenser's Faerie Queene, I was reading it last winter. Irony is that I didn't have the patience to read up to the actual end of it (though it was incompletely written, funny that). I suppose I didn't have the patience to get to the end of a lot of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment